Headboard out of a Pegboard

I was inspired to make a headboard from an amazing Pinterest find at Little Green Notebook. She gave a great tutorial, but she must be a superhero because she cranked out a headboard with double the amount of buttons in ONE NIGHT. It took me four days.

Here it is with pillows… that way you can get the idea of the height. We are still in the market for a bedding set hence you looking at our flannel pillows. Keepin’ it classy.
I covered 26 buttons with a great button making kit from Joann Fabric. It was pretty intimidating when I was reading about making the buttons but it was so much easier than I thought. Time consuming but easy.

And now for the step by step… I followed the tutorial from the Little Green Notebook and then made some minor tweaks. AJ purchased a sheet of pegboard from Home Depot for $17 and we measured it to 65″ to be a smidge wider than our Queen sized bed.
It left some good dust marks on our living room floor. :)

First I decided where I wanted my buttons and then I mapped out the placement of them on the pegboard.

Then I placed the pegboard on top of the 3″ foam (from Joann Fabric) and used a marker to make dots through the holes where each button would go.

Take a steak or paring knife and hollow out the area around each dot. Make sure you do this from both the top and the bottom of the pegboard. I only did it from the top and it was very difficult to see the hole from the underside of the pegboard.

Here it is, a whole sheet of foam with a hollowed out space for you to put the thread through.
The tutorial I followed said to then use heavy duty spray adhesive to secure it to the pegboard. I did this and had a very hard time… It took a while to take it off but placing the buttons was so much easier without it.
Put the sheet of batting over the green foam and then place your fabric (smidge over two yards for a Queen bed) over that.
I found this needle set to work really well for getting the thread through the button and the foam.
These are all the buttons I covered. It took two and half hours of TV… but I discovered the show Alcatraz, definitely made covering buttons a little bit more interesting.

I used some twine to secure the top holes to the pegboard since I wasn’t going to use the spray adhesive until after I’d made some progress on placing the buttons. The twine held it pretty well while still enabling me to manipulate the needle through the foam.

I was halfway finished at this point and was basically losing it… it was taking so much longer than I anticipated.

The tutorial told me to staple the thread to the back of the pegboard. My staples must have been a bit too big, they wouldn’t stick at all so I used a back up option of duct tape to secure the thread to the back of the pegboard until I could whip out my glue gun and secure the thread that way. The glue gun worked like a charm and held the thread beautifully. I made sure to get the glue into the pegboard hole and coating the thread.
All that to make:
Other master bedroom related posts:
window treatments made out of a shower curtain
check out the gross “before” photo
Oh, and for my big news of the day… some of you know, but Kate from the fabulous blog Centsational Girl asked me to guest post for her on Wednesday, March 21… I have been brainstorming all sorts of ideas but I’m pretty sure I’m going to focus on making the most out of a small space (like our 1600 square foot house). I am DYING of excitement.
LINK PARTIES:
Linking up to Between Naps on the Porch.
I am linking up to Cowgirl Up! at http://thefarmhouseporch.blogspot.com/
Linking up to:

Comments

  1. Anonymous says

    The headboard looks great Jenny! I love the fabric and color. Your MBR is really coming together!

  2. says

    This is fantastic! Frank and I don’t have a headboard and although you said it took a long time, it looks great! Maybe I will have to try this…

  3. says

    Your headboard turned out beautiful! So glad you found me…so I could find you! I am now following you on LF…hope you’ll follow me too, if you’re not already! Little Bit from DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

  4. says

    Wow! Your headboard turned out great- it would have taken me 4 days too. That’s a huge piece, way to go! Glad you linked up to “Cowgirl Up!”
    :) Samantha @ Crafty Texas Girls

  5. says

    It turned out great. Love the colour you chose. I recognized your project right away as I also have the original headboard from Little green notebook pinned – the peg board is an interesting twist on this! Glad to see someone else give it a try.

  6. says

    I found your blog through the YHL Pinterest Challenge, and am so glad I did! I love your project and, as a big fan of all things that involve “seaside” and “Massachusetts,” I’m hooked on your blog now.