I took a couple of spring shots from around our yard yesterday... I'm thrilled the weather isn't hideously cold anymore. And this winter was nothing compared to some...
My sister, Kim, gave AJ and I these adorable little violets for Easter and they found their way out onto our patio. I put them in this planter that the previous owner left and they are propping open our gate... sort of like saying "welcome". :)
Then my parents gave us a hydrangea for Easter and that became friends with the chippy little chair AJ found at the dump and our new boxwoods that flank our rotting front porch pillars. I'm on the hunt for some flowers to plant around the base of the boxwood and a more neutral pot for the hydrangeas, but I'll use this one for something else, Mom. :)
Onto running... in honor of the BOSTON MARATHON on Monday! Have I mentioned that AJ has come in 55th in the marathon before? :) He is running the last 10 or so with his friend Rob on Monday.
Jen's Top Seven Running List (this list, Friends, is random):
1. Piece of advice from the Hubs that, with #2, has made all the difference in my energy while running lately: Lift up my knees. No need to do high knees and look like a football player practicing... just lift them up higher than normal.
2. Kick your butt. Okay, I mean this figuratively. I was running the other day and AJ told me to do that... he didn't mean actually kick it but get pretty close. This seemed counter-intuitive to me... why would this save my energy? But it has. I've come back from running this whole week and have felt like I have tons more energy than usual after doing 1 and 2.
3. Moms (and Dads): We have the BOB Ironman jogging stroller (in all the photos below) and are in total love with it. It is worth every penny. It rides sooo smoothly and is made for running long distances. AJ regularly takes it on 8-10 mile runs. And also about the stroller... a wind / snow / rain shield (pictured below) got me out the door on the icky winter days. I'm gonna warn you though... now you don't have the excuse "ohhh... I didn't run today because I didn't want Susie in the rain / wind / snow". Drew doesn't have a drop of water on him after a run and he's snug as a bug in there.
4. Last baby piece of running advice: You know those Bundle Me car seat inserts (pictured below)? The toddler sized one fits amazingly into our jogger so Drew has been so warm for all of those cooler days.
5. Favorite running outfit: J. Crew tank top (the kind the outlet regularly has sales on for $5) and a pair of running shorts... no specific brand although I usually find them at Marshalls or TJ Maxx.
6. Some of my favorite runs are when I either just keep running till someone picks me up or when someone would drop me off somewhere and I would run home. I'm not sure why this is so much more motivating for me but as I write this I'm thinking that I should have AJ drop me off in the neighboring town tomorrow...
7. Here is the oldest piece of running advice I ever remember receiving... and it's from my Dad. "Keep your arms at right or obtuse angles while running." Can't you tell he's an engineer and loves math? :) So basically, you will zap your energy if you keep your arms all bunched up and close to your chest. And speaking of bunched up, keep your hands relatively loose as well... NO fists.
There you go, my Top 7 Running Words to the Wise.
1. What was your favorite run (or walk!) ever?
2. Are you training for anything now?
3. Last book you read and loved... fill me in!