DIY Pallet Flower Box

Our Easter weekend was eventful to say the least. Not only was Drew very sick the whole weekend (the doctor told us yesterday it was a 3-5 day virus) but AJ’s sister, Meredith, got a new heart! We didn’t anticipate either of those things when we volunteered to host Easter. The floors weren’t washed, the asparagus was overcooked and I didn’t have any cute little gifts for our families.BUT I did have this vision of creating a really great long box out of an old pallet we found on AJ’s dad’s farm. Here is my man breaking up the pallet:
To create a pallet flower box like ours (scroll down to see the finished product) take the four boards you have pried loose from the pallet and line up three of them in a U shape like you see here. To make our lives easier and keep with the imperfect rustic-ness of the pallet with didn’t even out any of the ends of the boards with a sander or a saw. I loved how natural it makes the box feel with the original edges.
The photo above shows how I initially placed the fourth board to measure it for cutting. The easier way will be for you to place it vertically inside the boards you have lined up and just make a mark that way. It’ll be the correct width. This way it’ll be sitting on top of the bottom of your box (see the photo below).
See how imperfect and warped this is?
I used an electric drill to place the screws into the box because the wood was too hard for normal nails. Even after using the drill AJ still had to go back and screw them in a little tighter for me. And, because the wood was harder than we thought we couldn’t use a hand saw to cut the end pieces, AJ had to do that with his table saw and screw those into the long sides of the pallet.
Notice the middle of the box… I left the old nails in because I love the rusty-ness of them! They look great from the outside of the box.
Then I had the fun job of filling the box… I had a vision of using tulips and eggs from our chickens (we have six chickens, if you haven’t caught that from any previous posts). I wanted a natural, earthy and rustic look. Did you gather that already by the wood the box was made out of? :)
I took my short juice glasses and filled them with gorgeous flowers Matt and Alison sent us last week.
Then, because I needed some height I tore apart an old lawn and leaf bag and stuffed it in the spots in between the three juice glasses. The bag was great because it was more firm than using tissue and it was the nice brown kraft paper color so if a little showed through the moss and eggs it wasn’t the end of the world.
Here it is with the eggs (the plain brown ones are from our chickens) and then colored ones are some I found on clearance at Joann Fabrics. The moss rocks are from the Dollar Store.
I love this little bird. I found it at Pottery Barn last year on their clearance shelf.
I put a little glass of jelly beans at everyone’s place. Not surprisingly at all, AJ ate the most of his… and I think he somehow snagged Kim’s as well. :)
And just for kicks, let me show you our dessert spread. Thank you, Mom, for a great carrot cake and for all the candy you should not have brought. AJ and I were just saying at dinner last night, which happened to be salads at 8:30pm, that we ate faaaaar too many sweets yesterday… :)
Here was my Easter invite, but my computer was being annoying and it wasn’t sending anything out:
Pin It!
I’ve come across some great tips from Ryan Homes for how to create gorgeous window boxes. Here’s a link to some great tips on creating a thriller, filler and spiller window boxes, check it out!

Pin It

Follow Migonis Home for new posts and daily inspiration:
Bloglovin’ | Facebook | Pinterest

Comments

1. says

I love your flower box. I have flower boxes on my mind too. I do not however have an old pallet. I am trying to re-use / repurpose 2 old dresser drawers. Hope mine turns out as good as yours!

Tery

2. says

FAB-U-LOUS, Jen!! What an awesome job on the box, and your centerpiece is just gorgeous! Of course I pinned it! I did a couple tablescapes for Easter. One for the adult table and one for the kiddos. Come on over! ;)

3. says

Probably the best pallet project I have seen. Sometimes items made with pallets are just to rough looking and some can be kind of tacky. This box looks great. I may have to go find a pallet somewhere.

4. says

I liked this so much I just pinned it with the link back to you and also tweeted and google 1+ this. Great project!

5. says

I love this! I sent the link to Blane and told him that I want him to help me do this. We have some old pallets that we’ll not be using anymore once we move…and I’ll have a long table to put the flower box on.

6. says

Just catching up on my blog reading! Sorry this is late!

I adore your pallet box, the tulips, the jelly beans..all of it! I love long table centerpieces. It makes sense because that part of the table is usually holding empty space. Your table looks so inviting!

Hope everyone is healing well!

xo
    ~K

7. Anonymous says

I love the flower box you made and the way you filled it with the flowers and eggs for Easter. Adorable!!!!! I am going out to look for a pallet now myself so I can try to make. Thank you for posting your directions.

8. says

I love your Flower Box! I have a bajillion pallets around here, so I am excited to make a bunch of these. In answer to your reader question, nope, didn’t make anything for Easter. Isn’t that just pathetic? It was the busiest time for me EVER and it just snuck up on me. I will have to double time it next year. Thanks for sharing, I am pinning this!

9. says

I have a couple of similar flower boxes that have been out of service for a number of years now. You have inspired me to pull them down off the garage shelf and breathe new life into them! Very nicely done!!!!

10. says

Hi!
    I’m your newest follower :)

Your table is very pretty and I love your centerpiece with your box project.

Thank You for sharing and have a wonderful night!

Aledia @ Plum Perfect

11. says

This looks so pretty! I love how you made this. This is just the kind of thing I love, pairing the old and rustic with the pretty. I love the table itself, so pretty and rustic. Your jelly bean glasses look wonderful! Can’t imagine the joy everyone is feeling about the new heart. Wow!

12. says

I love this! Great project. I have so many pallets…and I’m going to do this for sure. Love your table, and the look of all of it.
    Great job.
    blessings,
    Debbie

13. says

Okay….I have a tiny problem. I have a beautiful pallet that I will be using for my flower box. But this little baby is really nailed together…….tight.

I have NEVER done this type of project before. My old way would have been buying a flower box. But I love the look and want it. :)

Now my tiny problem. How in the world do I take this thing apart? I’ve hammered, I even put a flat thingy between the wood by the nails and tried prying it out. Nope, nothing, nada.

Could you have your sweet hubby explain how I get it apart. My sweet hubby, not so much!!!!

Thanks

14. says

What a fun and creative idea! Love it! Well Jen, I was wondering if you’re interested in guest posting at my blog Stardust. I host a guest blogger every Friday, so shoot me an email if it’s a yes, to schedule a date! I know my readers would love you too!
    Love, Olga

15. says

Hi, saw you featured at Courtneys. Love, love this! I was given some free pallets by my neighbor. Went to nab them the other day and someone hat beat me to them. Darn! I have an old box that I asked hubby if he would cut it down for me to hold me blue bottle collection. Your table is so pretty and I love the jelly beans in the glasses. I have a link party, Share Your Cup Thursday. Would love if you shared sometime. It’s all about sharing what makes you happy.
    hugs,