Makeover Monday: Hello Little Cottage

Hello Friends… I’m kicking back this week in Ocean Park, Maine with my family. I’ve been coming up here since I was still in my mom’s stomach and only have missed one summer when our cottage was torn down and was not at all habitable. My great-grandparents bought the cottage in the 1960s and about six years ago my parents and my Dad’s siblings and their spouses decided to tear it down and start over. You know I love a good rehab project but the cottage was beyond repair for various reasons. Anyways… last summer my parents decided they wanted a project.

IMG_0865

So they bought an adorable cottage in Ocean Park. Yes, I’ve waited a year before posting this. This cottage is repairable. It’s definitely seen better days but with my parents’ great design sense, and their talented builder, the house will turn out looking fabulously… and I’ll be documenting it all here!

IMG_0869

The entire foundation of the cottage needed some work so that was the first priority.

IMG_0871

The layout on the inside will be reconfigured some. The kitchen will be gutted, more about their plans in another post. :)

IMG_0874

The dining room is completely charming with wall to wall windows and a built in hutch. My parents already bought a great farmhouse table off of Craigslist for this spot and I’ve been dreaming about this fabulous driftwood bowl I want my mom to get and put on the dining room table. I know, I’m a little ahead of the game.

IMG_0885

The living room will have minimal changes, although the fireplace will get a new facade.

IMG_0883

The bathroom will be gutted as well and new fixtures will be added.

IMG_0919

IMG_0914

IMG_0915

I’m sad to say this wallpaper won’t be sticking around. :)

IMG_0921

I’ll talk more about the plans for the cottage in another post for now make sure you check out my Mom’s Pinterest page… especially her Cottage Design or Cottage Kitchen boards.

Tell me: what room are you most excited about to see rehabbed?

Comments

1. says

So glad you will be featuring your parent’s cottage. I have been wanting to see pics ever since Kim told me they bought it. You guus must be excited to see it improve. It is really cute!!

• jen.migonis@gmail.com says

My mom was having a nervous breakdown yesterday because so much still needs to be done but I know it’ll be fantastic! :)

2. Kim R says

I am most excited about the kitchen for sure!
    The bathroom is a close second, though. Are the floors in good shape? I really like them, but the rest has to go – especially the tub surround. Ugh!

• jen.migonis@gmail.com says

The floors are decent. They will be sanded down and will be 1000 times better after that! :)

3. Sandra Kay Hayes says

My home is not much, or any better than this cottage. I can see how charming it will be at the end. I really enjoy seeing small spaces done. When I think of “cottage” living, I think of small and charming!! Can’t wait to see the progress!! Love it already!!1

4. Patty Esposito says

That is an adorable cottage! I’ve enjoyed reading your blog and was surprised when I saw the pic of the boardwalk. I showed it to mu husband and said look familiar? I’ll be in op myself on Friday for illumination weekend. Isn’t it the most wonderous place?

• jen.migonis@gmail.com says

Oh Patty! That is so fun! I adore this town and feel like I know so many of the ins and outs of it bc I’ve been coming here for my whole life… It is so quaint and charming! Have a blast at Illumination Night!

5. Karen says

I am just around the corner in OOB…When I am on the beach I go to Odessa. Love the 4th of July parade-just the best little town ever but watching your grandparents cottage come back to life will be priceless. I am so excited to see where you go in the bathroom. I do adore the quaint kitchen-so Maine !!! Thank you so much for sharing :-)

6. says

Your pictures captured the character in this house beautifully. I’m so glad I found you on the Blogtalk page of the day share, I think I found my new place to hang out on a Sunday morning as I catch up on my favorite blogs of the week. That sunroom is to die for! I love built-ins, and the open airyness in that room. I cannot wait to follow along to witness what your parents do with this adorable home.